Plumber Salt Lake City: How to Find a Leak? – Salt Lake City Leak Detection
Finding water leaks in your home, pool or spa will save you a lot of money and headache.
Plumbing and water damage repairs are the end result of unattended leaks but astronomical water bills are also another expensive partner of water leaks. If you have an unusually high water bill, this is one sign that you could have, a leak in your pipes. Other leak detection methods include:
- A toilet that won’t stop running,
- The sound of running water when nothing is turned on (a result of vibrations throught the pipes),
- Cracks in your foundation,
- A warm spot on your concrete floors,
- Areas in your yard that are constantly moist,
- The water meter fluctuates when water is not in use,
- Musty/mildewy smells coming from the walls in your home.
Leaks get bigger with age so it is best to find the leak as soon as possible. Unfortunately, if you do not find the leak in time, damage could be costly to your check book and your health. Mold and mildew are very unhealthy to inhale so it is best to get it cleaned up by a water damage specialist as soon as possible following plumbing repairs. If you think you might have a leak, the best diagnostic you can do on your own is to check the top two indicators of water leaks.
- Check your water bill, if it is unusually high, this is a good sign that you have a hole in your pipes.
- Turn off the main water so there is not any water going into your house. This means no running faucets, no toilets being flushed, no use of water at all. Then go out to the water meter and see if it is fluctuating. There is a little triangle on the water meter and if it is moving with the main water turned off, this means you have a leak. At this point it is necessary to call out a professional plumber to find the exact location of the leak using a stethophone, an electronic earphone.
Hopefully you have found this information useful, if you have any other questions regarding leak detection, please leave a comment and we would be happy to answer them for you.