It’s possible to find mold anywhere in the home, but one of the most common locations is the bathroom. Mold is most frequently found in moist, damp and enclosed areas, and the bathroom checks all these boxes in many cases.
At Expert Plumbing, our plumbing services include helping you prevent mold and other growths that may take place in or around your plumbing areas. Why is it important to make sure mold is never present, whether it’s in the bathroom or anywhere else in the home? Here are several good explanations.
Toxicity and Reactions
For starters, several different forms of mold are toxic to some degree or another. This ranges from limited physical symptoms up to major health issues in some cases. There are three common varieties of mold to consider:
Aspergillus: The most common type of mold, aspergillus is known to lead to allergic reactions
Cladosporium: This type will lead to sore throats, watering eyes and other cold-like symptoms
Stachybotrys atra: Also known as black mold, this is the most dangerous type, leading to severe allergic reactions, internal bleeding or other major issues with prolonged exposure
Resulting Health Issues
We noted many of the symptoms of mold above – apart from black mold, they often are similar to a flu or cold. But that’s not the end of it by a long shot. Research has shown that asthma likelihood is significantly raised in infants exposed to mold, and it can also lead to sinus infections, lung infections and major skin issues. If you’re already at higher risk for respiratory conditions like allergies or asthma, mold is especially dangerous. And finally, children are at increased risk of mold effects.
Not only can mold have a negative impact on the health of everyone in the home, it can do the same to mood and general happiness. The American Journal of Public Health published a study showing that the risk for depression among people living in mold-infested homes was 34 to 44 percent higher than those living in areas without any mold present. These people had higher rates of despair, low energy and general malaise.
And finally, you’re not only putting the people in your home at risk if you allow mold to grow unchecked – you’re also putting pets in the line of fire. Pets often need even less exposure to mold than humans to experience symptoms, including everything from basic coughing and wheezing up to bleeding and vomiting. Extreme mold exposure can even be life threatening to some pets. If you see any signs of mold poisoning, take your pet to the vet office immediately while arranging for mold remediation services.
For more on why mold is such a danger in the home, or to learn about how our plumbers can help, speak to the staff at Expert Plumbing today.